Saturday, March 29, 2014

California bound! Sunshine, beautiful weather, palm trees...and the second US Cup at Bonelli Park!  I was ready to race hard Saturday morning, but rolling up to the start line I was unsure of who or even how many junior girls I was competing with. However, what I did know was that the course was fit to make anyone suffer, and that being near the front would be crucial.
The countdown began...30...15...GO!
Everyone put their pedals down hard, and in the whir of all the racers I quickly look for the girls I am racing with.  I catch a few 4I leg markings at the front and push hard to get closer.  The ups and downs of the course kept everyone on their toes and working hard, and the steep, punchy climbs were indeed BRUTAL, especially with the minimal recovery time the downhills provided.  Finishing the first lap I see 3 racers in front of me...but are they all in my category?  I get low, tuck in tight, and push hard through the flat, gaining a spot! I see another racer beginning the arduous climb into the single track, and I know this is where I need to pass.  Standing, I hammer up the hill, never slowing down, never looking back.  With 1.5 laps to go, I know that I cannot blow myself up, so I race my own race.  But who is in the lead?  Nearing the end of the second lap I spot someone that looks like another competitor.  They have no leg marking...I decide to take no chances, nearing a hill, I make my move.  Looking behind me, I find that this racer is right on my wheel! Now I suspect that I might have just encountered the first place junior, YIKES... And shaking her was no easy task.  Conserving my energy for the finish we battle over the course of the last lap.  I gave everything I had on the climbs and she was right there, following.  The end of the race was nearing and I felt nothing but a strong determination.  Legs burning, lungs feeling of the verge of collapse I make a break and attack on the last climb of the course nearing the finish.  I ride as hard as I can, but as I cross the finish she is still only 6 seconds behind me!



What a close race with amazing competition!  I was so happy to race against these girls, and I thank the competition I had that day, my coach, Ryan Geiger, and my parents for helping me push as hard as I did. I had an awesome time, and my Pivot LES 27.5 was reliable and fast, thank you Absolute Bikes and Pivot Cycles also for helping me succeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment