Sunday, August 3, 2014

I am very excited to announce that I have been selected alongside one other junior female to represent the United States in this year's Mountain Bike National Championship event in Hafjell, Norway.  

I remember when I picked up my mountain bike in late August of 2012, almost two years ago today, and realized the fact that I liked the excitement and challenge of Earth's terrain.  Soon after I decided that I wanted to participate in my State's Mountain Bike Race Series, MBAA (Mountain Bike Association of Arizona).  In September/October of 2012 I decided that I wanted to take this race season seriously and began riding as often as I could (luckily, that year we had a very mild winter and outside riding was permitted far longer than typical).  



In November I sought help from Ryan Geiger; Ryan was racing mountain bikes professionally, and we had a close relationship, I knew he would be willing to help me achieve my goal for the year.  He kindly gave me advice, was patient with me when all I wanted to do (and did do) was whine and cry, and STILL continued to help me advance my skills and fitness.  Ultimately, I sat on the start line of my first race as a cat. 3 as ready as I could ever be. 

My First XC Race, McDowell Meltdown, January 2013


After the first few races of the 2013 season I recall asking my mother if she thought I could make it to World Championships someday, she replied: "Of course I think you can, Shea."  But who knew that someday would be one year away...

Mountain biking has given me so many amazing opportunities.  It has brought me closer to my family, and closer to my amazing boyfriend/coach Ryan Geiger, and his parents as well, Mark and Joanne Geiger.  There are so many people who have influenced my determination, and success, taking a step back I can see just how many people are standing behind me.  I want to thank my friends too, I think the world of all of you, and find every one of you to be astounding, positive, supportive individuals.  It is wonderful to watch you all race and see you all only getting stronger.  I appreciate how much faith you have in what I do. Thank you, Zoe and Phoebe (the entire Dunn family), Angelina, Olivia, Sam and Erin (Alice and Rob Wilson), and Demi.

Some Amazing Friends Supporting Me While I Was Away

To my parents, I cannot thank you enough for the sacrifices that you have made, and are continuing to make to see my dream come true.  The love and support that my Mom and Eric have provided for me is exceptional, and I cannot wait to represent Flagstaff, Arizona and the United States this year. 

Thank you, Mom and Eric

Pivot Cycles and Absolute Bikes have helped aid my way to success this year.  From my bike, to clothing, to any accessories that I have needed during my season they have been there to give me anything to help my performance.  Thank you for sponsoring me and my racing this 2014 season.


No comments:

Post a Comment