Thursday, January 23, 2014


BAM!  I am wide-awake once again.  It is the last night (a sleepless one I might add) before my first Category 1 race.  My mind is scrambled with thoughts about what it will be like to line up with professional women, among them Chloe Woodruff (top 3 in the nation)! My stomach is already in knots, and the only hope I have for any sleep tonight is to steady my breathing…IN…OUT…IN…OUT…

The morning’s light and the slight shake in my fingers make me acutely aware of the race as time eats away.  Good luck is thrown my way from friends and family as I head toward the start, but almost all voices are inaudible over my incessant heartbeat, the only thing willing me to focus.  Focus is POWER I tell myself, and that is exactly what I will need when the whistle blows.  Instantly, after my arrival, the Pro Women are called to the line, I follow next staying close behind Chloe….”ONE MINUTE”….”30 SECONDS”.…”15 SECONDS”….And the whistle sounds!!!  My body jumps into action, I sprint hard, aware of my position behind three Pro Women.  Suddenly, I slip from my pedal….two more girls have jumped ahead, right before the single track.  FOCUS, I quickly recover and push hard, my eyes on the leaders.  I tear up the hills on my Pivot LES, dirt flying behind my wheels, determined to keep the Pro Women in my view.  I fight to get closer, passing other racers where I can.  The sun beats down, I let loose on the descents and rail corners, sweat burning my eyes, and cholla cactus threatening every inch of skin (bare or clothed) yet, I push on.  I have fun, I race hard, and when I see the tops of the finish flags swaying in the wind I know how close I am to victory.  Now is not the time to slip, no slowing down.  FOCUS.  I pedal strong through the feed zone, hearing the words that spark new found energy within me…”SHEA! You are 30 seconds behind the third place Pro Woman!”  I ride furiously, my Pivot LES responding to my every need, butterflies in my stomach, as I make risky moves.  I dive into corner after corner sprinting out of them for speed.  I take a series of swoops, a rock takes me by surprise…THUD…my chain drops.  I slip from the corner, quickly fumbling to grab my chain, which is jammed between my frame and under my chain ring.  Once I get back on my bike I waste no time for the lost minutes.  Wind whips by and before I know it, I am crossing the finish line for good, with a time of exactly 1 hour! 

Thanks to my Pivot, I had an awesome, fast race, taking the win in my category.  I accomplished more than I ever thought possible for my first race of the season, and starting with the Pro Women is amazing motivation, and I cannot wait to see what the other races have in store.  A HUGE thank you to Pivot Cycles and Absolute Bikes making everything possible for me, my pit crew, and my coach Ryan Geiger, helping me in every way they can!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment